Wednesday, March 25, 2009

There is nothing better than jiaozi

My trip to San Diego included a lesson on how to fill, wrap and boil the delicious and culinarily intimidating pouches that are Chinese dumplings. Actually, it was my first time eating these outside of a Chinese restaurant, and both the making and the eating were extremely enjoyable.

The chosen variety was filled with pork and cabbage.

I took copious notes on the process, but I'm guessing that my first solo attempt will be quite humbling.

Though my Nikon is probably now being enjoyed by a lucky craigslist bargain-hunter, my phone did a semi-acceptable job of capturing some of the action.

Roll, chop, roll, chop, flatten, rotate, flatten, rotate.


Fill, pinch, boil, cool, boil, cool, boil, cool.


In addition to dumplings, San Diego had a lot to offer. Notably, at Balboa park, one of the tastiest ice cream bars I've ever had.



No comments:

Post a Comment